Haiti 468x60

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

KINDERGARTEN GRAMMA

“Back to back”, “Face up front”,
“only two to a seat”,
“don’t stand up or goof around”,
“the floor is where we keep our feet!”

The rules are there to keep us safe
I know – but where’s the fun in that?
I can’t believe I’m back in school –
A 46-year-old Kindergarten Gramma “Brat”!

I want gum to chew and food to throw
and paper airplanes to bomb the back of the bus driver’s head!
If Mr. Mitchell could read my mind
I’m sure his heart would fill with dread.

What fun it would be to put a frog
-all green and warty and ugly and fat-
in the teacher’s desk so we could watch
when it jumped out and gave him a heart attack!!

But that day I was a “helper” and I couldn’t be bad;
So I followed the rules and remember the fun that I had
on the bus with Trevell, and all the things that we saw,
the day I became Kindergarten Gramma!!

by L. E. Shepard
copyright 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment

PREVIOUS POSTS

Backyard Ocean
Save $10 on your first order from Peapod.com